Thursday, November 19, 2009

Stepping out of the box

 

Normally when I make chili I throw kidney beans, mushrooms and tomato sauce in the crockpot with a seasoning packet and some ground beef and call it dinner.  I never really thought there was anything wrong with that, until now. 

 

For those of you who know me I am no culinary goddess, I lack serious skills and I also lack adventurous tastebuds, this combination my friends leads to many a boring dinner in our house. (My hubby will also say he does most of the cooking but from my boring menu…shhhhhh he’s right LOL!) But being on maternity leave seems to bring out the Susie Homemaker in me (it did last time too) and I just had to try this recipe regardless of the time crunch that dinner has become with newborn twins.  Yeah I am crazy like that.

 

It turned out really good and I now have to wallow in the embarassment of my previous chili making skills, especially now that I have admitted how I used to make it on the internet for all to read haha. Seriously I don’t know why I had never thought of putting any other meat in there besides ground beef, duh! So without further ado I would like to take this time to apologize to my family for making them eat my crockpot goop (though I bet I’ll still make it from time to time LOL!).

 

Now normally making chili wouldn’t come with pictures but in this household…you bet it does. At least now that doing so is a monumental task rofl!

 

So how do I chop, chop and chop some more with newborn twins and a 17 month old? Well it’s simple, you let the 17 month old play in your tupperware and try your best not to trip and fall while she plays under your feet…

1 IMG_3050 copy

2 IMG_3054 copy

4 IMG_3059 copy

You wait til your twins are in their bouncy seats happy as clams…wait did I say happy ugh?! You run back and forth plugging suckies in (all the while trying not to trip on tupperware and Maddy under your feet) while chopping, chopping and chopping some more. Oh yeah and to make it more fun take pictures along the way roflmbo!!! (Poor little man, I promise I didn’t poke him to make him cry nor did I let him cry excessively for this picture I just snapped away while grabbing the sucky in the other hand. No babies were harmed in the filming of this chili experiment…only mommies HAHA!!!)

5 IMG_3064 copy

Well one is as happy as a clam that ain’t bad!

6 IMG_3065 copy

More roadblocks and tripping hazards of the noisy variety…chop, chop, chop

7 IMG_3067 copy

clang clang clang

8 IMG_3068 copy

here we go again, traverse the tripping hazard obstacle course to plug a sucky in

9 IMG_3069 copy

still sleeping like an angel…is this really Jae or did she get replaced with a sleepy little alien? (she’s my high maintenance one usually.)

10 IMG_3070 copy

More tripping hazard fun for mommy

11 IMG_3071 copy

yay the chopping is done…commence cooking!

12 IMG_3073 copy

Gloriously noisy fun!

13 IMG_3074 copy

And finally the finished product!

14 IMG_3075 copy

 

Phew I’m tired again just typing all this out! I will definitely be making this chili again despite all the work vs my old recipe. Maybe if I don’t take pictures next time it won’t be quite as hard LOL!

 

I love my life and my kids, I truly do and I love how they are making me be a stronger woman. I have no choice but it feels good!

No comments: